Work Visa

Find out about the different visas that allow you to work while travelling.

Work Visas

Visa 417/462 are working holiday visas for backpackers, who want to work in Australia while they are travelling. Under this visa, the working holiday makers are considered as non-residents and are taxed at a higher rate than an Australian resident. Though you need to pay tax on every dollar that is earned, however, as a non-resident you don’t pay the Medicare levy, which is usually an additional 2%.

What much taxes do you need to pay?

As non-residents, you will be taxed at a rate of 32.5% on the first $80,000 you earn, with the tax rate rising to a maximum of 45% once you earn over $180,000. But from 1 January 2017, the tax rate for backpackers (also known as the Backpacker Tax, as it specifically applies to travellers on visa classes 417 and 462) has changed to 15% for the first $37,000, then 32.5% ($37,001–87,000), then 37% ($87,001–180,000) and up to 45% (over $180,000).

Places where the Visa 417 & Visa 462 are applicable

For WHV 417: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, UK For Subclass 462: Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay

Visa entitlement

These visas enable a backpacker to:

  • Stay in Australia for up to 12 months;
  • Work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer;
  • Study for up to 4 months;
  • Travel in and out Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid;

If you’re granted a 417 visa and you do three months specified work such as harvesting, mining or construction during your first year, you can apply for a 2nd year working holiday visa as an extension. On the contrary you can’t extend a 462 visa.

Eligibility Criteria

To get either of these visas, you require to be:

  • Ensure that you have all necessary documents like a valid passport and visa;
  • Do not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia;
  • Have a passport from an eligible country.

Tips before visiting Australia

  • Ensure that you have all necessary documents like a valid passport and visa;
  • Use registered tax agents for tax lodgement purposes;
  • Make sure to use travel insurance for security and safety reasons;
  • Plan your entire trip in order to save your time and money.

Let’s start the Journey!